OTW's 7th Annual Dinner Silent Auction
We are excited to announce that Diane Bryant, Former COO of Google Cloud & Group President of Intel, will be the guest speaker at OTW's 7th Annual Dinner Silent Auction.
Ms. Bryant will discuss her history as an at-risk youth and how she overcame obstacles to become one of Fortune’s 50 Most Powerful Women in Business.
Buy your tickets today and secure your spots!
WHAT: OTW's 7th Annual Dinner Silent Auction
WHEN: Saturday, November 3rd, 2018, 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
WHERE: 1510 5th Ave, First Presbyterian Church
TICKETS: $60 per person or $450 for a table of 8. To purchase tickets:
1) Register with Eventbrite for a small fee (individual tickets only)
2) Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415) 419-9695
3) Mail check payable to Opening the World to 636 Lindaro Street, Suite 1, San Rafael, CA 94901
NOTE: Non-alcoholic drinks included. Cash bar for alcohol.
OTW participants, alumni, and leaders had multiple opportunities to bond and learn from others during the following events:
May was Mental Health Month and Marin County hosted multiple events to increase awareness about behavioral health issues. OTW partnered with Marin County Department of Health and Human Services’ Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Division to challenge local political and civic leaders to walk a day in the shoes of someone who accesses Marin County's behavioral health service system. OTW then hosted a moderated panel discussion during which leaders spoke about their Challenge Day experiences. Challenge Day participants included:
• Ralph Pata, Police Lieutenant – San Rafael Police Department
• Mike Daly, Probation Chief – Marin County Probation Department
• Mary Jane Burke, Superintendent – Marin Office of Education (7-12; 5-7)
• Katie Rice, Supervisor – Marin County Board of Supervisors
• Grant Colfax, Director – Health and Human Services Department
• Jei Africa, Director – Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Division
• Kate Colin, Councilwoman – City of San Rafael
• Anne Pletcher, Candidate – District Attorney
• Shelly Scott, Board Member – Novato Unified School District
• Lori Frugoli, Candidate – District Attorney
OTW was honored to be invited to WE Day in Los Angeles. WE Day is a global event held in 17 cities designed to celebrate young people who volunteer locally, nationally and globally, or who raise money for important causes. Celebrities like Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Aniston, Will Ferrell, Martin Sheen, YouTubers, and musicians all gathered to say a big thank you to the selected youth groups for making a difference in the world.
Each year, OTW volunteers with the Marin County CROP Walk. OTW ran the registration booth, blew up balloons, created and mounted signs as well as directed traffic so the walkers were safe. The walk raises awareness about how 2 in 5 people here in Marin County are food insecure as well as over 845 million people throughout the world. Over $13,000 was raised at the event plus an additional $6,000 in online donations. Twenty-five percent of the proceeds stay here in Marin and the remainder of the money raised goes to combat global hunger.
OTW hosted a FREE Career Exploration Day for Marin County youth with special guest speaker, Congressman Jared Huffman, and professionals from Health & Social Services, Law Enforcement, Small Business, Technology, Trades, and Arts & Entertainment fields who shared how they chose their careers and why.
OTW prepared, served and shared a meal with local homeless through the REST program. The REST program is an alternating shelter service for the homeless provided by local Marin County churches from late fall through to spring. We were humbled and fortunate to be able to spend our time helping with such an important need in our community.
OTW participants and community volunteers joined together and spent three days prepping, painting and then touching up Senior Access' Adult Day Center in San Rafael.