eXPLORING AND HELPING communities at home and abroad
Costa Rica - 2015
- Volunteered with and learned from the ecologically and sustainability-focused indigenous tribe, Bribri.
- Helped build an aqueduct to improve water flow and a community soccer field.
- Delivered 7 suitcases of donations and $150 worth of school supplies to an orphanage.
Canada & Alaska - 2016
- Built 4 picnic tables for local school and community use.
- Volunteered on National Aboriginal Day to help with set up, festivities, kids' activities, and clean up.
- Presented and shared OTW documentary at four town locations including a community theater for the general public, Smithers Senior Secondary school, a local college and at the iCount school on the First Nations' reservation in Morricetown, BC.
- Donated $250 to Smithers Rotary Club and $250 to St. Joseph's school.
Nepal & India - 2017
- Stayed with the Chepang whose village was destroyed by the earthquake in 2015 and donated paint and school supplies.
- Primed and painted the Chepang school and the window frames of the recently rebuilt homes.
- Visited several orphanages, the Nepal Disabled Association, and Clinic Nepal.
- Primed, sanded, and painted the perimeter wall around another school.
Marin County - Our Community
- Donated $750 in books and approximately $925 cash from an OTW event to the local Short School and Youth on the Move programs.
- Donated $300 of gift wrapping money to Young Moms Marin.
- Donated $500 in books to Girls Stepping Up For Change and Young Moms Marin.
- Volunteered at various local Marin and San Francisco organizations such as Marin County Parks, Cedars of Marin, Homeward Bound, Marin Audubon Society, Glide Memorial, Mill Street Center, St. Vincent de Paul’s, Youth Service Team (YST), Canal Alliance, and San Francisco Food Bank.
- OTW delivered donations from Barnes & Noble and their generous customers to 15 different organizations, groups and non-profits within Marin County who specifically work with and support youth at risk.
- Established a $250 OTW scholarship in honor and memory of Joanne Jackson.
- volunteered for and Donated $200 to Marin Hunger Walk.
- Supported two families through Adopt-a-Family during the holidays.
"We rise by lifting others."